Last week, Indiana police arrested a man who allegedly fled the scene of a deadly motorcycle crash that occurred this past August. According to a report by ABC Local, the man was riding a motorcycle on I-74 when he bumped into another motorcyclist. The driver of the other motorcycle lost control and crashed. Both the driver and his passenger were pronounced dead at the scene.The specifics of the crash are still under investigation, but witnesses say that the recent arrestee was at fault. Once booked, police charged the man with Fleeing the Scene of a Fatal Accident.
Motorcycle Accidents Are Increasingly Common
Although taking a leisurely cruise over the many nearby country roads sounds relaxing, the truth is that motorcycle safety is of critical importance but is often overlooked. Although it should be obvious that motorcycles do not provide the same amount of protection as cars, drivers of both motorcycles and cars sometimes act as though motorcyclists are invincible. But they aren’t. For example, in 2008 there were 175,000 non-fatal motorcycle accidents; between the years of 2001 and 2008, there were 34,000 lives lost in motorcycle accidents.
Motorcycle Safety Can Not Be Over Looked
Whenever you are on a motorcycle there are certain precautions that must be taken to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.
- Motorcycle safety course: Before getting on the bike, make sure you know the rules of the road and how to effectively operate a motorcycle.
- Wear a Department of Transportation Approved Helmet: You wear a seatbelt when you are driving a car; make sure you do the equivalent when you ride a motorcycle.
- Don’t Tailgate: Make sure to leave enough space between you and the car (or bike) in front of you. Stopping distances on motorcycles may not be as short as what you are used to when driving a car.
- Be attentive: Understand the nature of riding a motorcycle and the inherent dangers of doing so. Don’t take your attention off the road, even for a minute. And it should go without saying, but never drink and ride.
- Pay attention to the weather and riding conditions: The surface you are riding on can have a huge affect on the ability to control the bike and come to a safe stop. Be sure to pay attention to whether the road is wet or gravely, as these are the two most common conditions that cause motorcyclists trouble.
Have You Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident while riding a motorcycle, it may have been due to the negligent driving of another motorist. Many motorists do not understand that they have a duty to provide a safe driving experience for their fellow motorists. If this is the case, you may be entitled to monetary damages. To find out what potential causes of action you may have, and what time limitations may be in place, you should consult with an experienced Indiana accident attorney.
Schedule a consultation online today, or call 888-532-7766 to speak with an Indiana accident attorney. And remember, we will not send you a bill for our services unless we are able to obtain a favorable result in your case.
Two Women in Custody for Fatal Hit-and-Run Accident in Indianapolis, Indiana Accident Attorneys, September 30, 2013.
Two Motorcyclists Killed in Possible Alcohol-Related Crash, Indiana Accident Attorneys, September 23, 2013.